Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Second week of placement...everything becomes routine

Well I'm officially in the 2nd week of placement, and have realized how routine everything becomes...sigh. Everyone is nice and I am learning quite a bit, but to be honest I'm a little bored. Considering this is the placement I was most looking forward to, it is a little dissapointing. I've realized a long time ago that nothing is quite like what I imagine it to be, but it is still surprising.

From our crazy school classes, I imagined that half of the approach is trying to determine some rare diagnosis that the docs missed and then coming up with crazy treatments to treat the condition. Well, most of the time the diagnosis is already made, or is fairly obvious even to me which is saying something. The treatments are nothing like we learned in class, and most often consist of ultrasound, massage, gait correction, orthotics, ROM, and some basic mobilizations, in addition to giving basic exercises, acupuncture, and hot packs.

Now I can't say I'm any good at any of the above yet, because most of the things we're not really taught in class. I mean I have no idea how to give a massage, and am basically learning as I got. I'm still figuring out the parameters for the ultrasound, because they use it differently from what we were taught. I have a very basic idea of what to look for in shoes (avoid high heels, and apparently a rubber sole is better), let's see I'm guessing on gait analysis and correction, I'm still figuring out how to instruct on proper ROM, and the mobilizations are totally different from what we're taught and we basically have to take additional courses to learn properly. Plus acupuncture is not taught at all, more post-grad courses.

What is even more frustrating, is that a lot of the above treatments don't work, or take months to get even some basic relief. So the basic approach is to squeeze in as many treatments into a 30min session as possible, and of course not to go over the 30min session since there is another patient booked. What I've learned so far, is the most important part is actually not what you know, it is your customer service and socialization skills. The treatments have to provided in addition to very stimulating conversation. For the person to come back the person has to trust you, and for them to trust you they have to like you...now don't get me wrong, I actually don't mind making conversation with people, and I'm actually getting better at it, but to do a massage or ultrasound or to try to mobilize at the same time as trying to think what conversational topic would be interesting can be a little nerve wrecking experience.

Now I don't mind this fairly relaxed atmosphere, where everything is fairly predictably, where people are actually happy to see you, and where its not very physical work and won't injure me...but just a lot of other jobs it does get a little boring, especially after seeing the 5th non-improving person with back pain, shoulder pain, ankle pain. I mean I should be grateful...nobody is pissed off, or complaining about how they don't want to get up to go for a walk today, no gazillion notes to write, no running from one end of the unit to the other, no dangerous MRSA, VRE, TB, pneumonia, no 2.5 hour commute...and yet I'm bored...on the other hand at least I'm not trying to drink a bottle of wine after every day because of all the stress. I should know by now know that nothing turns out the way you want to, and at least I can actually physically do this job, because realistically I wouldn't last a month in either a hospital setting, rehab setting, or neuro setting, so that sort of limits my options...but that doesn't stop me from questioning my choices, and having to hide my previous goals of med doesn't really make it easier.

I keep thinking this is supposed to give me some kind of satisfaction in life, and in a way it does, but it definitely get's repetitive after a while. Oh well, back to my assignments, and continuing to question my direction in life, I mean what else is new, I've been at this for the past 6years!

No comments:

Post a Comment