Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

So it's officially 2012! I'm thrilled 2011 is over because its been a nightmare from start to end. It started with an insane MSK unit, which I still don't understand how I and a lot of other people survived. Continued with 2 placements, one so bad that I really doubted why I was crazy enough to put myself through this. It continued with a summer semester which was at least survivable. Some research in the fall and 2 more placements in winter which have while not great at least have been manageable if it were not for the family emergencies...

I've lost count the number of family issues....from my dad's non healing rotator cuff tear, to my mom's cataracts (which she doesn't want to fix), to my own asthma issues which make going downtown an absolute torture, to my grandfather's bedbugs then uncontrollable glaucoma, strange fainting episodes/heart problems, and then pneumonia. Now if all that wasn't enough, to finish the year with a bang, my grandmother's hip fracture, surgery, delirium, MI, stents, constant syncope episodes, and the final escape from the hospital. It's definitely been a hell of a ride.

Now this year, has also taught me a lot, and has really forced me to get out of my shell, because guess what to become a professional and treat patients, I have to actually communicate with others! I also have to at least appear professional and confident. All the medical family problems have given more medical experience than any books can ever teach you, and have taught me how to figure out how to advocate, put up a fight, and if you have to go against what the doctors advice and go home and try to manage tough conditions at home which can is a lot tougher than it sounds.

Surprisingly, through all the craziness, and against my own fears I've gone on a few dates with a few different people, and now find myself in an actual relationship! This has been very unexpected because I've convinced myself that it would not be possible to ever be in a relationship, given the multitude of problems I have, my pessimistic and sceptical nature, my busy family life and my non-stop school schedule, but even though it takes a lot of planning and compromise, it's actually semi-possible and I'm semi-happy! I've also met a lot of amazing fellow students who have helped me get through the really tough times which I'm grateful for because without their support and help, I don't think I would be able to survive all the anatomy bell-ringers, practical exams, and bad clinical experiences.

All in all, I'm hoping that 2012 will be a better year for everyone, I make no resolutions anymore because they inevitably end up being broken, but let me be a broken record and wish everyone good health, happiness and well-being in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment