Monday, July 18, 2011

Taking on the world's problems

My biggest problem is I tend to take on other people's problems and emotions and that just depletes my mood and energy and I still don't know how to deal with these things. The problem is that there are too many problems, the US and Europe debt crisis, high unemployment, high youth unemployment, immigration issues with my neighbours, my friends problems, Afghan war, family issues, reductions in health care, oil crisis.....therefore my negative thinking continues and all I do is read more and worry more and the cycle continues. I know that most of these problems are not my problems but I somehow feel responsible for fixing them, when in reality I know that I can't and ultimately it's up to the people with the problems to try to fix it and unfortunately sometimes you have no control over life's circumstances no matter how much you try to control everything since I am one person and life depends on the interaction with many others.

This has gotten me in trouble before and whenever I try to suggest to 'fix' something, the end result is usually not the one I envisioned, or it becomes the opposite to what I wanted anyway.....but how can I be happy when so many others are miserable? but how can I help their misery when I'm miserable myself....

I've learned that I do feel other people's pain more than other people and that is just my personality which some people will say is a good thing since it makes me more compassionate but my job requires me to deal with people with pain all day and to do that I have to be objective and less emotional since being emotional does not solve their pain problem....of course hormone issues don't help, sometimes I envy guys that have a lot less emotions and look at everything much more as cut and dry which I could try to follow....

So, now I'm going to take a deep breath, and focus on my own problems which is a looming test tomorrow, and forget about the world's problems for a day, and then maybe if I want to change something, actually proactively do something instead of worrying about it. The reality is the world is changing and I am one person out of
7 000 000 000, and no matter how much I want to, I cannot change it for the better or fix its problems. Change is the only constant in the world and we don't know what the next 10 years will bring, we don't even know what the next year will bring, will oil run out? Will global warming cause increasing drought? Will there be a major infectious disease that will affect the world? Will China become the new superpower or will we go back to living in caves? The possibilities are endless and I have to stop thinking this way since all it does is make me miserable since all the outcomes are negative, but all this thinking will not stop the time and will not stop change and the best thing one can do is adapt to the changes that are occuring.

My life even 10 years ago was very different than my current life, and my parent's life 30 years ago was also vastly different and yet even through all the changes they managed to adapt and survive and even thrive and they unlike me do not keep regretting the choices that they make. Maybe that's the solution, to learn to live with the choices you make and with the consequences those choices will have since all choices in life have consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment