Saturday, November 20, 2010

Impact of asthma and asthma meds

Warning: Again I am not a doctor, whatever you do, do not listen to me or take my experience or advice, please listen to your own doctor.

So, after I was 'diagnosed' with asthma, I decided to start doing my own research...I learned that whenever I have an issue breathing or my chest hurt, I am supposed to use the inhaler to relieve my symptoms, since that is what it's for right? So I started using it....and it worked, I could take deeper breaths instead of gasping, and the pain in my chest went away....There was just one problem, I started feeling my heart....

Now, I didn't attribute the palpitations to my inhaler, I just thought, ohh it must be a normal part of my asthma now, to feel my heartbeat even if I didn't use the inhaler for 2 months.....Did I go to the doctor? You can probably guess that I didn't since I didn't think it was a big issue, I mean at least I didn't have chest pain anymore....

The problem was that the constant palpitations meant that I couldn't concentrate that much anymore, since all I thought about was the lub-dub, and I had trouble sleeping, since I would hear the heartbeat and it would scare me....

It took a long time for me to figure out that the inhaler was causing the palpitations, and only now do I realize that they are actually a sign of PAC heart ryhthm abnormality....Once I did figure it out, I stopped using the inhaler, and after 6 months-1 year my heart rate went back down to normal and my palpitations stopped....

Was it a coincidence? Yes it could have been due to stress although I wasn't that stressed at the time, but it is a known side effect and the meds can cause palpitations and could in some cases cause arrhythmia's.

Now don't get me wrong I am not advocating that everyone should stop taking inhalers since everyone is different and I may just be that rare example of a person that has those rare side effects, and the only reason I get away with not using them is because my asthma is mild.

How do I manage? I do wheeze daily, and generally am able to hide it well and I do sometimes get chest pain. Also about a 2 weeks ago, after a 10 hour day and standing for an hour with a backpack I did get an attack, and it took me an hour to relax, and get my breathing and wheezing under control. But it doesn't affect my daily functioning that much and the wheezing stop after a while.

My point is that sometimes it is important to weigh the risks versus the benefits when using medications, in my case, since my symptoms are mild and I can survive without it, I do, since I do not want the palpitations to come back. On the other hand, a person who is constantly SOB, can't concentrate and is at risk of dying due to a closed airway, obviously needs the meds to survive and lead a normal life.

The problem is that often all patients regardless of their symptoms are often prescribed the same medications without taking into account individual differences and without being educated about the risks.

No comments:

Post a Comment