Saturday, May 11, 2013

New jobs and new life


Wow, what a difference a couple of days make! I didn’t realize how much stress and pressure there was in my previous jobs, I feel like a much happier person, now that I finally finished with it, and even though, I’m going to be working 6 days a week, the jobs are a lot closer, and have much more reasonable hours so I actually feel like a normal human being instead of being a night worker that comes home at 11pm.
                                                
Everyone is noticing, that I seem more relaxed, not as anxious, as well as more confident and not as stressed, frustrated and not communicable. I feel like a large weight has been lifted off my shoulders. My acne and breakouts have become much less and a lot more manageable, my nerve pain in the foot has gone, and I’m working on stabilizing the instability that’s developed in my ankle after 2 work related bad ankle sprains. I feel like no one is breathing down my neck about some ridiculous uncompleted paperwork that I need to get done, no more tracking patients, and trying to convince them to come back when they have no desire to and no more calling insurance companies to try to get more funding. No more 6 cancellations/no shows out of 12 patients in on day (the day off) and no more patients being 30minutes to 2 hours late! Also no more 4hours of commuting a day! It definitely feels like a breath of fresh air that I’m actually able to be home by 7:30pm or 8 and not 11 that I have gotten used to, and I’m definitely a lot less exhausted because the clients don’t suck out all the energy that I have, as I can keep a more professional distance and they’re not as clingy which is nice. 

This is what I imagined working would be like, I didn’t realize that the past 6 months, mostly felt like an extension of my placement and I still felt like a student that has to constantly report to her mentor. Now that I got the job as an independently registered professional, I feel more like a professional, and more responsible for my actions but I’m also viewed differently by the employers. I can’t say, my skill set is any different, but I am more confident in general, and can better pretend that I know what I’m talking about, even though most of the time I truly have no idea whether the treatment is working, whether the intensity is too high, and whether I should stop. In one of the clinics there is a lot of great equipment, which I have a very basic understanding of as we learned nothing about laser or radial shockwave at school, and I’m basically learning as I got, which is definitely one way of learning, but I do sometimes I could get some more guidance, but hey it definitely challenges me and is quite interesting. That’s what I wanted out of a job, I did not want to be the billing and administrative assistant that deals with insurance companies. I wanted to be the therapist, and I wasn’t getting that opportunity in my job, and I’m very thrilled to finally get that chance.

I’m also self-employed in my new jobs, and honestly I like it a lot more. Some people like the stability of a regular paycheque, and the 37.5hours/week, but to me it was suffocating. I felt like because I was an employee, they owned me, and I had to ask permission about every tiny little thing. Now, as I’m independent, if I want I can take a couple of hours or days off if needed without much fuss and mayhem. I can choose to work 12 hour days and as I’m currently choosing 40hours which will hopefully build up to 50-60hours in a couple of weeks (a little crazy but I’ll take it).

It’s definitely different and challenging to jump into something completely unknown, but it is also quite exciting and so far I’m enjoying it! I need to challenge myself and that’s the best way to learn and to advance my own skills which I need to do if I want to continue developing as a therapist. 

No comments:

Post a Comment