Sunday, May 12, 2013

Job opportunities and regret


It’s funny because even though I have 2 part-time jobs, I’m actually looking with envy at all the other job opportunities I’ve passed up! I think I truly have lost it, I mean I’m already working 6 days/week in 2 good clinics, how the heck, can I think about working more…
                             
I think the problem is I want too much too soon….I have only been registered for 3 months, I’m only turning 25, and already I’m thinking about opening my own clinic, working with doctors….it is a little nuts. After my last job, I think I need a little time to decompress, and regain some of the confidence I’ve lost, before I jump into something even more challenging. I look at the successful clinics around my area, and it kills me that I can’t join in on the action, but….I need save some capital….as well as gain some more experience working with normal people and how to establish those very important connections.

I should be thankful for the opportunities I have, because my friends who are in the hospital industry, are living contract to contract and once your contract expires, it could take months before you get another one. So my 2 part-time jobs which right now stands at 40hours, and will most likely increase to 60 hours in the next couple of weeks, is quite crazy as it is. They both pay really well, and I’m not forced to see a lot of patients which means I can save my hands.

I have to look at it in a different way….first off, out of the offers I did get, these 2 are the better ones….I’m thankfully done with my previous job and my license is indeed intact. Yes there is a possibility that I could have gotten another offer or two, but those are possibilities, and I might have not gotten them, and who knows if I’m seriously ready for those type of crazy work environments yet….I need to build up my experience a bit more before I jump in.

To be honest, I can’t believe the huge number of job opportunities there actually are at the moment. It seems like there is a shortage in the private sector, which is a little insane to me! When all the other industries are in decline, I quess people are still willing to spend money on rehab!

The main issue I’m facing right now is I have an exam in 2 weeks and I can’t seem to force myself to actually study for it, which is scaring me a bit. I never realized just how difficult it is, to memorize useless information after you’ve started working and know how useless all this info is! I know that I don’t use any of this, and that makes it that much harder to actually concentrate and memorize because it is so boring! The other problem, is of course that I’m working, and I’m not used to working and studying at the same time. I’m used to just focusing on studying, trying to combine the two is a bit more challenging than I initially anticipated.. one of the reasons is because my brain is thinking about work, and all the things I need to research and get done there… and trying to divide my concentration is a tad challenging. Even my strategy of attempting to study at night isn’t working, because I’m so exhausted I just fall asleep.

I think I need a new strategy, because I know if I were to study for 12-14 hours straight, I could get a lot done, because there really isn’t that much information and it’s not that new, it’s just I have to get through it. So I need to set myself a reward… for every 2 hours that I study, I will get to eat a snack, but only if I actually study for 2 hours. I will also set myself a goal of reading 200 pages in 1 day, that means 200/12=20 pages an hour…a page in 3 minutes…yes I know a little intense, but I really really need to get through this information because I’m quickly running out of time. So tomorrow I’m going to shut myself in my room, and literally read from 8am-12pm (16hours) with a couple of breaks for food and try to get through as much as I can. Then I will hopefully get 5hours on Monday (6-12pm) to continue studying and another 4 hours on Tuesday (10-2pm) and 4 hours Wednesday (8-12pm), Thursday and Friday. That means no more computer for the next 2 weeks, no more news to distract me, unless I badly need a break.. and if I’m really getting stuck on a page, I need to just highlight as much as I can and move on, because I just don’t have the time to spend on it. Hopefully this strategy works and then I will survive the next 2 weeks without looking like a complete zombie again!

Now then, no more posts for 2 weeks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment