Thursday, March 29, 2012

Doing too much and Getting sick

So I'm sick, with the flu. At least I think its the flu, or its a really really bad cold. I think this is my punishment for doing too much and enjoying my freedom too much for the past week.

I've been really lucky so far, since I haven't gotten seriously sick with the flu for 6 years...and this is something I was really scared of, and actually doubted if I could commute every day, considering I'm surrounding by people, some of them who are sick.

But I definitely know I overdid last week, when I started exercising every day, and going shopping for 3 days in a row, and then on sat, I went shoe shopping, and went to the doctor's for a quick appointment, and then went to my friend's place and 'gasp' had a cupcake and a few cookies...then on sunday I tried jogging and failed miserably and mostly was gasping and half fainting after 3min, did a bit more weights and then actually went for a haircut for the first time in a year....yeah it was too much, too soon, and my body told me so. It also doesn't help that everyone in my family has already had this flu..and I might have just gotten it from them.

I wouldn't have minded a quick cold, but this flu just knocked me out. Complete with fever, chills, stuffy nose, sore throat, and a cough that felt and sounded like I was coughing my lungs out and actually included chest pain. What's most annoying is that its the 4th day, and I'm still in bed, and now will have to miss a cool trip with my PT friends that took a while to plan. I'm also missing a few days of class, but I'm not that worried since I know my friend can give me good notes, and plus I finished most of the tests that I had to do already.

What's different this time though from my previous times I got sick, was I didn't wait for 2 weeks until the coughing progressed and I wasn't getting better and I actually on the advice of my friend, started antibiotics early, to treat the infection early enough so it doesn't progress to sever bronchitis and make my asthma even worse. The chest pain after breathing and coughing clued me in that its not a simple infection and that I better treat it soon. Thankfully, the antibiotics seem to be doing the trick and the chest pain is gone, my coughing is a lot less severe, and the phlegm is not green anymore (I know, not appetizing). But I'm still weak, tired, and am still in bed for now...and it will take prob another week until I'm back to being semi functional and can start studying for my boards...for now I can enjoy watching a actually finite supply of shows available online and having room service.

When I get better, I definitely will slow down, and not try to do 4 hours of shopping for 4 days in a row..not try exercising 4 days in a row, and will go back to avoiding cookies and cupcakes, since its a small price to pay to avoid being miserably sick and in bed for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment