Sunday, October 2, 2011

Feeling better in some ways, worse in others..

It's definitely been a busy week. I'm definitely feeling better (mentally at least) from my last post, which now seems to be a very long time ago.

First update, I passed my neuro unit! I only found out today, which I was stressing about for the last 2 weeks but that's another story. It is definitely a huge weight off my shoulders as I was seriously scared that I didn't do well, since the last test involved a lot of short answers (which I despise). I was basically writing the first thing that came to my brain, and after discussing the answers (bad idea) with some classmates realized that my answers were seriously lacking content. Should learn by now not to discuss answers...since it just leads to more anxiety.

Moving on...the next big thing that happened was I started going to a new Jewish philosophical type course with people my own age, and it turned out I really liked it, and actually learned quite a bit. The course solidified my fears that indeed I don't know what I want out of life...sort of scary, but at the same time at least now that I know the problem I can work on trying to solve it. I've realized that a lot of people share the same issues that I've been rambling and complaining about and there are no simple or concrete answers. I've been trying to find simple solutions and in fact there aren't any...so simple eh? I'll try to make a separate post about some of these interesting philosophies a little later.

The good news continued as I found out that I got a rehab placement for my neuro internship. You would think that as PT's in a big city with lots of rehab centres we would get rehab placements but that is apparently not true. In fact some people might not even get one 'true' rehab placement within their education, which is not really fair as others might get more than 2. What many people do not realize is that you have to know what you want and need, and be willing to try, and most people aren't willing to do that and end up choosing the same 5 places that everyone else does or not getting placed. Anyway, my new strategy is to try to pick good spots but ones that others aren't picking as the top choices since they are too 'far' for them. Now since I live far from the centre anyway, my advantage is everything is far from me, so I can pick things that are 1.5 hours for some people, whereas for me its only 1 hour.

The other big news is that I bought, then changed my mind and cancelled a condo purchase. Yes you read that right, me a student, not knowing where I'll work, live, and whether I'll even find a job, decided that hey, let me try flipping/renting a condo....in a sort of iffy area......not even in downtown.....yeah probably not smartest idea. Now to my and my parents defense it could have worked, and we could have gained 20K in 3 years...but the amount of headache that it could have caused, plus the fact that the 200K mortgage would be in my name...not the best thing that I could think of... I'm still not sure it was the right decision, but the truth is that I never really wanted to live there, and gambling on flipping is not smart especially in a 'developing' area, and renting is too much of a headache. In the end, I decided I don't like gambling especially with large debt loads, and would prefer to buy something when I have more security in my employment and actually buy where I could see myself living...I know a radical concept..

Now the bad news..I have gotten sick...yes the horror of having a cold. I know I know, I'm a baby, but hey to my defense, due to my crazy hygiene (read washing hands 20 times/day + not touching anything anywhere) I haven't been sick in over 2 years, which is actually a record for me! Now of course the record was meant to be broken and this is as good a time as any since I actually don't have classes and have time to recuperate. My hope is that if I give my body enough time to rest hopefully it will actually recover in a week without me having to start antibiotics...I can hope right? The interesting thing is my lungs have actually been cooperating and not acting up and hopefully continue to behave.

So that has been my week in a short post, I'm of course doing research (ie writing stuff) which is too boring and deserves a longer explanation. So now to go back and continue resting. Wishing next week is a little less exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment